Monday, March 17, 2014

An Alma experience in Arkansas, prayers at church and speaking at firesides...week 10 in Arkansas

Thanks for the email! this week felt like it went by really slow to me but a lot happened this last weekend. on friday we were teaching Andrew (less active) and Phillip (investigator) phillip has recently been in a really bad mood and im pretty sure he hates us but every now and then andrew forces him to come and listen to us with him. friday was one of those days where we got to teach both of them. we had already taught them both all the lessons in preach my gospel so I picked a story from the book of mormon that I had read in my studies that morning. I chose the story of alma the younger (mosiah chapter 27) . for those that arent familiar with the story it is about alma the son of alma the prophet. unlike his father he tried to destroy the church instead of trying to help it. one day as alma and his friends were trying to destroy the church an angel appeared to him and it says he was shaken and commanded to repent. after he repented he became a faithful member of the church. After we read the story I was bearing my testimony. in the middle of my testimony Andrew started having  a seizure and fell onto the floor. we quickly moved all the furniture away from him so he wouldnt hit something amongst all his shaking. after he stopped shaking he layed there motionless for 2 hours. during that time he laid there we gave him a blessing and then just waited. once he woke up he was fine. apparently he has had seizures like this before and he wasnt worried about it at all but I thought it was really ironic that that happened after reading almas story. 
we were also supposed to have lots of investigators at church this week. we had 7 investigators say they would come to church. sunday morning we drive around with a member picking everyone up and unfortunately all 7 of them dont answer there door or say they cant come, so the day started off pretty bad. in the middle of sacrament meeting I said a prayer in my heart asking for just one person to show up to church. after the prayer I didnt think much about it till the middle of sunday school when some guy I had never seen before walked in the doors, sat down, and started listening to the lesson. we went over and talked to him after the lesson was over and he said that he had just moved in across the street and was looking for a church to go to so he came to ours. we offered to come over to his house after church to tell him about our church and he agreed. we went to his house right after church and shared a quick lesson with him and then invited him to be baptized on the 29th and he accepted.
Last night I also had to speak at a youth fireside on missionary work. I had a good 5 hour notice that I was speaking at it and a few minutes to prepare, but I felt like it went really well! anyway congrats to weber basketball on making it into the ncaa tournament and for jared taking 4th at ncaas! Thats really exciting!  keep up the good work!
Miss you all,
Love Elder Johnson


In last weeks email Elder Johnson mentioned making a dessert with his companion called "Don't Ask"  well, Ryan and Kelton both asked, so they got a picture with the ingredients so they could make it at home...I don't think so!

 This is a picture of a slum area...love what Elder Johnson and his companion wrote on the chalboard!
 Not sure why I got this picture, other than Elder Johnson has a silly (or sick) sense of humor...
 Elder Johnson's sporting a new haircut (and he was the proud barber, yet another talent he has) and some new mustaches...the Charly Chaplain stache
 and the Hitler stache
He did mention that 'President made him shave them off'  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment