Monday, January 6, 2014

1st week in Arkansas...

Hey everyone,
So I kinda expected it to be warm down here but it is freezing cold! I just washed the car and within one minute of rinsing it we had a layer of ice frozen around the car. It has been really cold and windy ever since I got here and with the humidity it makes it feel even more cold. I am always freezing here, I cant wait for spring time. 
So on tuesday around 2 in the morning we left the MTC and drove to the airport and was able to talk on the phone which I am really grateful I got to do. after talking for a while we flew to atlanta and then to arkansas where I met my mission president and mission mom. they are both really great people, they used to live in ogden before they were called to serve in arkansas. Sister peterson (mission mom) makes really good food as well, dinner there was the best meal ive had since I left for the MTC. New years was no different than any other day at the mission home though, we actually went to bed earlier than usual that night, but im definitely not complaining. We were all so tired after waking up at 2 and then traveling all day we went to bed at 9:30. The next day was our transfer meeting and I was assigned to serve in the Pinnacle Mountain area (Little rock area) with Elder Jardine. One of the first things Elder Jardine asked me when I met him is if I liked to work out and if I would go to the gym with him every morning. I was so relieved to hear that I would be able to run every morning. I have been really blessed so far with two companions that both allowed me to run everyday. I am generally able to get in 7 miles every morning. here is my new address,
7820 west capitol avenue appt 1305 Little rock, arkansas 72205 
It has been a really hard week. I expected lots of people to be slamming doors in my face but here no one even answers the door. Both wednesday and thursday not one of the houses we went to even opened the door. At that point I would have loved to have someone slam the door on us just so that I know that people actually live in this town.
One of our key investigators right now is Jarven. His mom is a diagnosed bipolar schizophrenic so he lives with his grandma. Jarven is so close to saying yes to baptism he is hesitant right now just because his grandma doesnt approve of baptism because she thinks we are forcing him to be baptized. we are hoping she will agree to letting him get baptized this month. He is currently reading the book of mormon by himself and attending church and Mutual activities every week. 
Aletha williams is our other investigator that will actually answer the door and we are hoping she will except our invitation to be baptized tonight. she allowed us to give her a blessing last night after she got home from having surgery done on her jaw. She has a lot of faith in her heavenly father.
Elder Jardine is from Pleasant grove utah and played on his schools soccer team, he has been out here for 6 months and has been in this area the whole time. We also hang out with the spanish elders a lot who live next door to us, Elder Dalton (arizona) and Elder Ludwig (Orem, Utah) 
The hardest thing for me right now is staying awake and finding my way around. Hopefully I will get it figured out really fast.
My typical Schedule is something like this
5:50 Wake up
6:00-6:45 gym time
7:00-8:00 Breakfast
8:00-9:00 Personal study
9:00-10:00 companionship study
10:00-11:00 training
11:00-12:00 Lunch
12:00-5:00 Teaching investigators
5:00-6:00 Dinner
6:00-9:00 teaching investigators
9:00-9:45 plan the next day
9:45-10:30 I use this time to workout
Our ward here feels really small compared to the ones back in utah but they are great people and support us in almost everything we do. they make us great meals like everyday and help all of our investigators feel like they are welcome in the ward. It seems like everyone here in our ward lived in utah at one point in there lives.

Love you all,
Elder Johnson

Thanks for thinking of Elder Johnson these past few weeks. He loves your letters and appreciates your prayers and concerns.  Your support keeps him going from day to day when things are tough and from what my missionary says, missions are tough, so please continue praying for him and sending your love. Thanks for all you do to support him

No comments:

Post a Comment